1/24/12

Canning Pineapple


I just received a free box of fresh pineapples and wanted to preserve them for later use. I love fresh pineapple, but after eating it all day my lips were starting to feel like I'd been kissing a porcupine. I have no practical experience with that pastime, unless you count the days that Tom has just trimmed his mustache :)

So got my trusty pressure canner out and washed up some quart jars, pulled canning lids and rings out and got started cutting up the pineapple. The instructions in my pressure canning book called for cooking the pineapple in a heavy syrup before filling your jars. I didn't add any sugar to the water and figured that if it really needs it, we can add a little honey or sugar when we eat the final product. Boil the pineapple in water, or heavy syrup, for 10 minutes and then pack it into clean canning jars, filling to 1/4" from the top. Wipe the tops of the jars with a clean, damp cloth, put your lids and rings on and place them in the pressure canner. Mine takes 2 quarts of water (with a tablespoon of vinegar to reduce hard water deposits) in the bottom and I can fit 7 quarts or 9 pints in one batch. Put the lid on the canner and turn the heat on. When steam starts escaping from the pressure valve, wait 10 minutes before putting the pressure gauge on top. Use the 5 pound pressure setting and wait until the lid seals and the gauge starts to jiggle. Keep at 5 pounds of pressure for 15 minutes, then turn heat off and allow the pressure to reduce naturally.



Be sure to follow the instructions for your pressure canner for best results. You can also use a hot water bath method, but I like using the pressure canner because I don't have to do quite as much work or heat the water to boiling ahead of time.

I am looking forward to using our canned pineapple in recipes and eating it straight out of the jar! Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this excellent tutorial on how to can pineapple with the Hearth and Soul hop. You've got a lovely collection of sunshine there to enjoy on wintery days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've canned a lot of foods but never pineapple. The results look fabulous! I must say that I'm quite envious! I would love to pop the lid on one of these jars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a very satisfying feeling to look at my jars of home canned produce. Check to see if you can pick up the left over produce at your local grocery and you may have some pineapple to can too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great score on the fresh pineapple! Woohoo! They just all look delicious! I am definitely going to be adding you to my blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...Canned Pineapple. Stumbled across your blog and just adore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red Hill General Store...I really appreciate the comment!

      Delete
  6. Wow - when I was at Whole Foods last week they had organic pineapple on sale! If I had seen this post, I would have bought a bunch and canned it. What a great tutorial!

    Came by from the Living Well blog hop - would love for you to come by for a visit!
    Ann @ Suburban Prairie Homemaker
    www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ann! Would love to visit...hoping to have more time later today. I'm working on invitations for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary today :)

      Let me know if you do try canning pineapple!

      Delete
  7. Could you let me know who you would talk to at your local stores about leftover produce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just stopped in and talked to the produce manager while he was working. Not all areas will allow you to take the leftover produce. One county over from us, the health department will not allow the stores to give it away.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...